- This event has passed.
OPEN CALL: RUB
August 16, 2019 @ 12:00 am - September 27, 2019 @ 11:59 pm
Major Exhibition Open Call: RUB
Deadline: Friday, September 27th, 11:59pm EST
Exhibition Dates: November 20th – December 15th
Curated by: An-An Chen, Cayla Lockwood, Lulu Meng, J Triangular, and Terrill Warrenburg
How can artists communicate the necessary points of view and ideas in today’s world as a marginalized person? How can art change an oppressive society?
an independent publication
an exhibition at Flux Factory
an invitation to collaborate, learn and build community
Our curatorial team invites artists to submit works and proposals for RUB, an upcoming Exhibition at Flux Factory in Queens, NY. This one-month show will feature works of art that include, but are not limited to: Drawings, Collages, Paintings, Photography, Poems, Quotes, Lists, Printed materials, Queer stories, Performances and Video, Sounds and New Media.
RUB is centered around two major themes:
1. NOW-WAVE: an evolution of the avant-garde, NOW-WAVE is an expansion of cross-cultural
counterculture that has evolved to further break boundaries. DIY cultural productions of an
alternative nature. Being an artist of the NOW WAVE implies being a catalyst to transform society.
2. GRAPHIC ACTIVISM: (activism grafico): Artists with a special sensitivity for printed matter art and
publishing as practice in order to communicate necessary points of view in today’s age to resist
structures of oppression in today’s society. Artists that use language in the processes of resistance.
Works of art will be mounted throughout the 1300 square foot gallery space in a playful fashion echoing
RUB, the publication and the inspiration for the show. Additionally, there will be a constructed “reading
room” featuring zines from around the world as well as a number of programming events, educational
workshops and more.
*Please note this exhibition will have a strong focus on NYC-based artists. Queer, POC, and other marginalized artists/ groups/collectives are encouraged to apply. Artists will receive a stipend for participation.
● By clicking on the “Apply” link, you will be asked to send us examples of your work
○ Visual artists: 4 images of your work
○ Poets and Writers: 3 samples of their pieces
○ Video Artists (2 videos – 5 minutes max, each)
○ or a Proposal / Idea / Collaboration
● Additionally, you will be asked to submit an artist statement (maximum 250 words), and answer how your art relates to one or both of the themes (listed above).
● You will not be asked to upload a CV, but feel free to add a link to your website, if applicable.
Flux Factory is able to provide media, audio, and other materials. Please let us know if you have special needs. All artists will be expected to install and de-install their own work unless they have contacted us in advance.
If you have any questions, please email RUB@fluxfactory.org
Flux Factory, This location is wheelchair accessible. Attendees are expected to adhere to our safer space policy, which is posted throughout the space.