- This event has passed.
Kickstarter Art + Feminism Edit-a-thon 2018
March 4, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm UTC-5Free
11am – 5pm
Add to Calendar
58 Kent Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Last year, Art+Feminism, Kickstarter, six partners, and neighborhood friends and family descended on our headquarters to amplify, diversify, and grow the voices of women on Wikipedia. Why? A 2011 Wikimedia Foundation survey found that less than 10% of its contributors identify as female. Female-identified artists also suffer from disproportionately small (or nonexistent) articles compared to male artists.
We hosted 35 editors and added over 20,300 words across 58 article. This year, we’re aiming to go above and beyond, and we need your help to make it happen.
Join us in Greenpoint, Brooklyn on March 4th for an all-day communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to art and feminism. People of all gender identities and expressions are welcome to participate, and we especially encourage women, transgender, gender nonconfirming, and nonbinary individuals to take part.
How it works:
- RSVP here and show up between 11am-5pm on 3/4 at Kickstarter HQ (58 Kent St in Brooklyn).
- We’ll provide tutorials for beginner Wikipedians throughout the day, as well as plenty of reference materials.
- Bring a laptop, power cord, and — if you can — some ideas for entries that need updating or creation.
- Be sure to create a Wikipedia account before the event. (You can learn how to do that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CreateAccount&returnto=Main+Page)
- Don’t want to be an editor? Come by to help with research, promotion, and facilitation.
Light refreshments and lunch will be provided. Childcare is also available upon request, and we’ll have a few laptops available for use. We’ll send more information on these in the order confirmation email from Eventbrite.
Art + Feminism Wikipedia Editathon events are happening globally throughout the month of March. To find and learn more, head here: http://www.artandfeminism.org/
This event has been lovingly organized by Kickstarter in partnership with: